40 years for four shots

Brandon Spencer is paying a 40-year price for four shots that killed no one

By Olga Grigoryants and Daina Beth Solomon

brandon-spencerLike any proud father, James Spencer is eager to show off photos of his son.

Seated at a desk in his Inglewood apartment on a recent Friday evening, the 59-year-old shuffled legal documents, news clippings and letters until he unearthed a photo of a young man wearing a white dress shirt and a black tie — Brandon Spencer at age 18, suited up for work as a security guard.

Now the younger Spencer wears a different uniform. He has recently begun serving a 40 year prison term for opening fire at a Halloween party two years ago at the University of Southern California. 

When neighbors, friends and family heard that Spencer had been charged with four counts of attempted murder, many reacted with disbelief. They thought: “Nah, it can’t be Brandon.”
[Read more…]

First person: College isn’t for us?

IMG_5453

Skylar and Randall playing in her backyard | 1998

This Reporter Corps story published Oct. 13, 2013 recently aired on KCRW as a radio piece produced by Kerstin Kilm and Skylar Endsley Myers. Fast forward to 8:10 to hear Myers talk with her childhood friend Randall about why the two pals ended up taking different paths. 

I opened the door to see my best friend from childhood, Randall, chewing on a pen top, facing me in his baggy jeans. We hadn’t seen each other for nearly a decade. As kids our lives seemed like mirror images and we were inseparable skateboarding, biking and playing basketball on our block of South Central Los Angeles. But something changed in middle school. In eighth grade, while I was worrying about which private high school would give me a scholarship, he was getting arrested for the first time.

How was it that my ace homie growing up–the one who I would run the streets with for hours–ended up on the fast track to prison while I sped toward opportunities? [Read more…]

Inglewood poised to revamp its streets and its image

The freshly renovated Fabulous Forum | Olivia Niland/Neon Tommy

The freshly renovated Fabulous Forum | Olivia Niland/Neon Tommy

Inglewood-based architect Chris Mercier sometimes likes to play a word-association game with people when he talks about the place he’s called home for the past decade:

“If I say to you, ‘let’s go to Inglewood,’ you probably don’t picture a city, do you?”

As an artist and partner at (fer) Studio, an architecture firm in Inglewood, Mercier is an outspoken advocate for revitalizing Inglewood—starting with a city-wide rebranding.

“You probably imagined four things,” said Mercier. “The Forum, Hollywood Park, rap music and crime.”

For some, Inglewood is a place better known for its past—as the former home of the Los Angeles Lakers for 32 seasons, site of the iconic Randy’s Donuts, and a ubiquitous name-check in ‘90s West Coast rap—than its current endeavors or future plans.

“The city has created income from these things,” said Mercier. “It’s created a brand that isn’t good branding.” [Read more…]

South LA gets a taste of Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution

The wellness and diabetes group from the Martin Luther King Jr. Outpatient Center has climbed on board to take part in celebrity chef Jamie Oliver’s food revolution.

The lesson today, “Fish Made Easy,” included a basic red sauce sautéed with garlic, olives, and basil baked over a white fish and served with what the cooks called “brilliant broccoli.”

Caroline Snow, one of the instructors giving free lessons to community members out of the Big Rig Mobile Teaching Kitchen parked on East 120th Street in front of the medical center, offered simple directions: “We’re using the canned tomatoes sauce here on the rig, but you can use fresh tomatoes and with the summer season coming and growing new gardens its great to pick your own tomatoes, puree them, and use that. Then we’re making the sauce, putting the fish with it and baking it for a few minutes.” [Read more…]

Will Forum be good for Inglewood business?

Many say the new Forum in Inglewood renovated by Madison Square Garden will turn out to be a rewarding investment — but will it benefit local businesses just as much as its new owners? Flip through the slideshow below to hear what locals have to say about The Forum’s possible impact on their businesses and community. (Click each photo to view the caption.)

Created with Admarket’s flickrSLiDR.

54th District Assembly Special Election Dec. 3

Chris Armenta, John Jake, and Mark Waksberg, three of the 54th District Assembly candidates.

Chris Armenta, John Jake, and Mark Waksberg, three of the 54th District Assembly candidates. | Stephanie Monte

The four candidates running for the 54th District Assembly discussed jobs, prisons, guns, traffic and the environment Saturday at the Holman United Methodist Church ahead of tomorrow’s special election.

The 54th District includes Westwood, Century City, Baldwin Hills, the Crenshaw district and Culver City.  The election was called by Governor Jerry Brown to fill Holly Mitchell’s vacancy after she took a position in the California senate.

At the forum, Sebastian Ridley-Thomas, son of Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas, pledged to fight for jobs, education, and healthcare. Chris Armenta, former Mayor of Culver City, named the economy and the environment among his priorities. John Jake said growing up with adversity in South L.A. made him the right assemblyman. And Mark Waksberg, the independent among three democrats, said both democrats and republicans need his vote for legislation.

Read on for highlights from the candidates’ forum… [Read more…]

My neighborhood: Manchester Square

Participants in Reporter Corps, a USC Annenberg program to train young adults from South LA to report on their own communities, created audiovisual introductions to their neighborhoods this summer. Skylar E Myers project focuses on history, poverty, and love. 

Skylar Endsley Myers, 23, Saint Bernard Catholic High School graduate, University of California San Diego graduate 

My family has lived in South Los Angeles for nearly three generations. My grandparents remember the treachery of the Watts Riots of 1965 just as vividly as they can recall their first time witnessing the genre-bending genius of George Clinton & the Funkadelics at a house party in Compton. And let me tell you their words are unlike anything you’d read in a history book. In the midst of gang wars, riots, and disparity my grandparents would tell me these stories and they’ve worked to instill me with pride, hope, and dignity throughout my life. I always assumed they told me these stories as a reminder that we’ve been here before and we’ve made it through and we have the power to get through it again. For this reason I feel storytelling is important, especially for the improvement of the community. Stories are records of what has happened in the past to form both who you are and how you’ll behave in the future. Through Reporters Corps South LA, I hope to bring light and voice to the overshadowed stories of the streets, the people, and the schools in hopes of instilling all South Central Angelinos with the same pride, hope, dignity and attachment I feel for this city.

To read about Skylar’s experiences growing up in South Central click here.

School safety tour through South Central

Outside Chuco's at the corner of Redondo and West Blvds. in Inglewood.

A vibrant mural distinguishes Chuco’s Justice Center at the corner of Redondo and West Blvds. in Inglewood.

At the corner of Redondo and West boulevards in Inglewood, Chuco’s Justice Center is painted with a vibrant mural of kids waving posters promoting justice, peace, and preparation for college — not prison.

Chuco’s led a presentation on Thursday about safety in schools — part of a national “week of action” spearheaded by “Dignity in Schools.” The campaign aims to teach young people about human rights, reduce the number of kids going to prison, and push for more educational centers like Chuco’s. [Read more…]